Car Show to Benefit Lakewood Museum
Lakewood Historical Society and the Lakewood Heritage Commission are holding the second annual “Sheldon Wolpin Memorial Car Show” fundraiser Sunday, July 12, 2015, from 2:00 to 5:30 p.m. at the Clarence Brown Pavilion, Pine Park, (near the Lakewood Country Club), West County Line Road Lakewood, N.J.
The pre registration car entrance fee is $12.00 and $15.00 the day of the event. The car show lineup will begin at 1:00 p.m. The proceeds of the car show will benefit the renovations of Kuser Hall, the home of the Sheldon Wolpin Lakewood Historical Museum, 500 Country Club Drive, Lakewood Pine Park, Lakewood, N.J.*
Attendees can also enjoy Oldies music by the “Oldies Maven” Jimmy Givens, the “Dr. of Musicology”; a display by the Ocean County Society of Model Railroaders; a P. B. A. Local #71 special full-sized charter bus, through Classic Tours, in memory of fallen police officers, and Local #71’s S.W.A.T. (Special Weapons and Tactics) vehicle. P. B. A. members will be selling hot dogs and hamburgers to raise money for their organization.
Registration checks should be made payable to the Lakewood Historical Society, P.O. Box 654, Lakehurst, N.J. 08733-1054. Be sure to include year, make, and model of the car. To register or for more information, contact Jimmy Givens, chairman of fundraising committee for the Lakewood Historical Society, at jimmygivens.com or call the special cruiser hotline at 732-770-7245. The rain date is Sunday, July 19.
The Lakewood Historical Society is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization. Visit lakewoodnjhistoricalsociety.org. Donations are always welcome.
*About Kuser Hall and the Lakewood Historical Society: Kuser Hall, a two-story, 16,000 square-foot math and science classroom building was built in 1927. It is the last remaining building of five that was once the Newman School for Boys, a private boys’ high school from 1920-1942.
The Historical Society has been renovating the building for more than two years. Renovations have included, repairing the roof, replacing more than 465 broken window panes, repairing window wells on the exterior of the building, and installing protective screening on all windows.
The first floor of Kuser Hall, now the Sheldon Wolpin Historical Museum, has been restored to include six galleries that will display some of the vast museum collection of memorabilia and artifacts. Some of the completed projects include completely renovated restrooms, a handicapped ramp, and an HVAC system.