Historic House Has New Business Owner and a New Name
It’s not Downton Abbey, but it’s close! – A Victorian mansion with a beautiful parlor, dining room, tea rooms, library, fireplace, and more! Vicki Weiss, a long-time Toms River resident, recently became the business owner for the newly named Mathis House, a Victorian Bed & Breakfast and Tea Room, known formerly as 600 Main, Toms River, N.J.
Weiss, who attended Rutgers University for business administration, served as an executive director of a local nonprofit for seven years before buying the business and becoming Innkeeper at the Mathis House. Weiss is a member of the Greater Toms River Chamber. She also served as executive director until this November at the Church of Grace and Peace for the Community Compass program that includes a food pantry, clothing center, community education, and homelessness prevention. Weiss received the Angels in Adoption Congressional Award at the White House for her achievements in the foster care system.
Guests at the Mathis House can stay overnight in one of six suites with four-poster beds and enjoy a gourmet breakfast. Tea in the Victorian Tea Room, special occasions, parties, business meetings, corporate events, even weddings are always welcome at the Mathis House. Desserts, soups, scones with clotted cream and lemon curd are made on premises. Throughout December, the new gift shop is open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Weiss said that they make contributions to as many as six charities a year; for instance, to the Toms River Historical Society from their annual holiday teas at the Mathis House, and recently a food donation in honor of Big Brothers Big Sisters for the Taste of Toms River.
The Mathis House, open year-round, was voted The Best of New Jersey, 2019. Teas include soup, salad, scones, a variety of tea sandwiches, and a plate of desserts. Now through January 31, guests can enjoy a five-course afternoon tea, holiday music, and tours of the Historic Mathis mansion. Reservations must be made in advance.
For tea reservations and overnight stays, call 732-818-7580 for reservations. Visit www.mathishouse600Main.com for more information.
About the Mathis House: Built in 1898, the Mathis House is named for Thomas A. Mathis, also called Captain Tom for his seafaring adventures. Although he was involved in the automobile business and real estate, his main focus was politics. Having served the state civically for a decade, Mathis was appointed to the New Jersey State Senate in 1909. He was re-elected for six more terms and became the Republican majority leader, and later president of the Senate in 1929. From 1931 to 1941, Mathis was Secretary of the State. He died in 1958. Not only does the Victorian house in Toms River bear his name but also the Thomas A. Mathis Bridge that spans Barnegat Bay and connects Toms River with Pelican Island and Seaside Heights.